List of all US gold coins, collectible American gold coins, US gold bullion, gold commemorative coins in the USA
American numismatic gold coins available in the coin market today are the remaining specimens of the historic US gold coinage.
In 1933, during the Great Depression, all gold coins were removed from circulation. Just like other rare gold coins, the value of the US gold coins are based on the year it was minted, its rarity, and its numismatic grade.
US gold coin inventory
Regular issue American gold coins
These US gold coins were minted from 1849 to 1933.
$1 gold coins
The one dollar gold piece is the smallest denomination of the American gold coinage.
• $1 Liberty Head Type I (1849-1854) • $1 Indian Head Type II (1854-1856) • $1 Indian Head Type III (1856-1889)
$2.50 Quarter Eagles
These 2.50 dollar gold coins were minted in several types. Their face values are inscribed as “2 ½”, or the quarter fraction of the Eagles or $10 gold US coins.
• Capped Bust to Right Quarter Eagle (1796-1807) • Capped Bust to Left Quarter Eagle (1808) • Capped Head to Left Quarter Eagle (1821-1834) • Classic Head Quarter Eagle (1834-1839) • Liberty Head Quarter Eagle (1840-1907) • Indian Head Quarter Eagle (1908-1929)
$3 Gold coin
The three dollar gold coins had similar Indian Head design as the one 1 dollar gold coins.
• Indian Princess (1854-1889)
$4 Gold coin
The Stella gold coin or the four dollar gold piece had two designs simultaneously minted.
The 5 dollar gold coin had the most design types among the American gold coins.
• Capped Bust to Right Small Eagle Half Eagle (1795-1798) • Capped Bust to Right Large Eagle Half Eagle (1795-1807) • Capped Bust to Left Half Eagle (1807-1812) • Capped Head to Left Large Size Half Eagle (1813-1829) • Capped Head to Left Small Size Half Eagle (1829-1834) • Classic Head Half Eagle (1834-1838) • Liberty Half Eagle (1839-1908) • Indian Head Half Eagle (1908-1929)
$10 Eagles gold coin
The different designs of the10 dollar gold coin included the Indian Head design by Augustus St. Gaudens, the same person who created the 1907 Double Eagles gold coin.
• Capped Bust Small Eagle (1795-1797) • Capped Bust Large Eagle (1797-1804) • Liberty Head Eagle (1838-1907) • Indian Head Eagle (1907-1933)
$20 Double Eagles coin
Earlier design types of the 20 dollar gold coin had a face value inscribed as “Twenty d.” When the 1907 Saint-Gaudens double eagle gold coin was introduced, the inscription was changed to “Twenty dollars”. The twenty dollar gold coins have long been considered the most-loved American rare coin.
• Liberty Double Eagle (1849-1907) • Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle (1907-1933)
US commemorative gold coins
There are also American gold commemorative coins minted between 1903 and 1926. All the US commemorative gold coins were minted to highlight special events.
To truly live is the greatest adventure there is. My ultimate goal is to create a life that I do not want to take a vacation from. Be all in or get out. There is no in between! Soon you will rejoice with me, for I will find the drachma coin that we had lost.